Friday 15 December 2017

Finally!

I haven't updated this blog for so long (4 years!) because, honestly, I was beginning to doubt that I would ever wade through the muck and mire of the Ontario teachers surplus. Working in sales for the tutoring company, although it was mostly paying the bills and was something I liked, was definitely not where I wanted to be for much longer.

At this time last year, I needed to take a leave of absence from the tutoring company so that I could deal with a situational depression and other difficulties caused in part by the fact that I kept getting overlooked for an interview when the supply teacher list had opened for new applicants. I'm qualified, I'm enthusiastic, I'm experienced; when would I get the opportunity to prove myself for longer than just the one month of summer school in July? Furthermore, if the board would hire me for summer school (which involves course design, planning, marking, report cards) why wouldn't they hire me for the supply list? I just needed an opportunity, a foot in.

Finally this September that opportunity presented itself. I saw a job posting at a nearby high school that needed to hire externally to fill a position in the English department. I put in my application and finally received an interview!

The interview as on a Thursday at 9:20am. At around 12:15pm I received a call from the principal telling me that the position was mine, and asking if I could start as soon as possible. From nothing to full-time in less than three hours (and about seven years). Once the contract is up, I will finally be on the supply teaching list.

I am finally heading in the direction of where I want to be.

And it feels amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment